Tuesday, February 19, 2013

why real world dating is really fucking scary

He could not just have an STD, but other non-venereal diseases. Like measles. I don't just want you to get an STD test but also a throat culture.


I want to see a valid driver's license, a school ID, proof of residence, an SAT score report, an assessment of your credit score, and 2 - 3 legitimate references.

Similarly, there is a very slim possibility that he went to the same college as me. Perhaps he went to a good college, but even so. In the real world, you don't have the comfort of knowing that you and whatever guy you're talking to were at least vetted by the same admissions committee. Oh, wait, you didn't go to college at all? Oh, you work at a Foot Locker?


We have few or no mutual friends, which means I have no knowledge of your backstory. Perhaps you fit all the previous qualifications and you're still a sociopath who is going to hit me with a shovel as soon as we leave the bar. Maybe I could love you despite your flaws, but before I make that decision I would like on have a firm grasp on what your flaws ARE.


Just being attracted to someone in college doesn't mean you should hook up with them, but just being attracted to someone in the real world doesn't mean you should hook up with them, go anywhere with them but a crowded public place, or give them any personal details more specific than a pseudonym.


If you run into the same guy all the time in college, that means you probably have similar schedules. If you run into the same guy all the time in the real world, he might be stalking you, and thus this level of crazy.


Along those lines, having no knowledge of your history means I have no way of tastefully researching your ex-girlfriends.


And so somehow, every conversation I have with a guy in the real world leaves me feeling like this:

No comments:

Post a Comment